Eventually Erik decided to pursue a career in the fire service. He returned to college, resumed his studies in earnest and achieved the Deans List for academic excellence and was a member of the Scholastic Honor Society, Alpha Gamma Sigma. He received a degree from Mt. San Antonio College in Emergency Medical Services. He took pleasure in helping others, thus he became an American Red Cross volunteer, an EMT, and then graduated UCLA’s Paramedic program. Having been enrolled in public speaking courses since the age of nine, Erik soon found himself working as an Instructor for UCLA-Center for Pre-hospital Care. Later the same year Erik pursued further firefighter training and was privileged to be sworn in by the City of Fillmore as a Firefighter Paramedic in 2004.
Erik was honored to join the ranks of Los Angeles Fire Department in 2005 and graduated the academy at the top of his class. In addition to being awarded Top Overall Recruit for outstanding academics and evolutions, he was also awarded Golden Rung for outstanding Truck Evolutions. His first fire station assignment was in south
Firefighter Scott unfortunately suffered a serious neck, back, and eye injury from a roof collapse at a fire and is currently unable to return to full-duty. While feeling poignant disappointment for being out-of-the-field, he considers himself very fortunate to have gained a position as the Public Service Officer on the “C” platoon in 2009, and being able to work alongside his esteemed colleagues, Margaret Stewart and Brian Humphrey.
Additional Information / Instruction:
- Terrorism Liaison Officer.
- FEMA Certificate in Professional Development Series.
- Brush Clearance Unit.
- PIO: S203, Introduction to Incident Information (PIOF)
- PIO: L-952, Public Information Officer
- PIO: Public Safety Media Relations - Advanced Level Officer.
- State Fire Marshal - Ethical Leadership.
- Professional Photographers of California since 1998.
- National Preparedness Month Coalition Member.
- IAFF 2011 Media Award, Best Blog - First Place.
- Certificate of Appreciation from Fire Chief Brian Cummings, 2012.
- IAFF 2012 Media Award, Best Blog Entry.
- Southern California Journalism Award for "Best Use of Social Media by an Organization", presented by LA Press Club in 2013.
- Firefighter of the Month - by Los Angeles Fire Department Foundation, October 2013.
- Social Media for Natural Disaster Response and Recovery, February 2014.
- Oral Interview Rater for VCFD Public Information Marketing Officer, December 2014
- CSFM Fire Officer series (In Progress) - 2015.